Community Action Reaching the Elderly – C.A.R.E.
Project C.A.R.E. keeps seniors living alone from being totally isolated. It provides referrals to community resources, assistance with completing a Vial of Life, reassurance calls, and other services.
The You Are Not Alone (YANA) Program is a FREE service for people who live within the jurisdiction of the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department. It offers peace of mind and a sense of security for those who enjoy their independence, but have no friends or family to check on them regularly.
People in the YANA program are able to take care of their own day-to-day needs, but recognize that a medical crisis could render them helpless. Most importantly our community members are able to find comfort with regular senior interaction from our volunteer patrol.
The YANA program has been credited with saving the lives of many elderly adults who live alone.
Information About Fraud Schemes Targeting Seniors
"Fraud Schemes Targeting Seniors" was a presentation on July 14, 2023 that addressed the most common scams targeting the older population, how to report them, and resources available to empower those who have been victimized. This presentation was made by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and sponsored by Del Mar Community Connections with additional support from Solana Beach Community Connections.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT SENIOR SCAMS, PROVIDED BY THE FBI
- Targeting Seniors, a 60 Minutes segment featuring San Diego's Elder Justice Task Force
- Romance Scammers’ Favorite Lies Exposed by the FTC
- Romance Scam Survivors Peer Support Group
- How the F.B.I. Can Help You (Elder Fraud)
- AARP ReST (Resilience, Strength, and Time) Program
- How to Report a Scam or Crime to the F.B.I. Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)
- 2022 Elder Fraud Report from Internet Crime Control Center (IC3)
- Older Adult Financial Exploitation Brochure - FBI Victim Service Division (pdf)